Friday, June 25, 2010

Labels

I don't like to refer to people in terms of labels. This seems reductive to me. When one person refers to another person by a label, this doesn't magically transform the reality of who that person is. A person is not whatever label is applied to them. A person is a person. It's "ok" to use labels (e.g.) to simplify a person's position on an issue as long as the label-user (and his/her audience, if any) acknowledges this fact.

In a sense, it's "cool" for a group of people with common goals or ideals to refer to themselves with a label because (perhaps) it makes them feel like part of a "team," or a "club," or whatever. It might even increase their ability or desire to achieve that goal! Human beings are genetically tribal animals.

I often eschew taking sides, joining groups or teams, or labeling myself. I'm not even very fond of the "atheist, theist" labeling system. These aren't two monolithic, "black and white" divisions of people.

If I must label myself, I think an acceptable label would be "clarificationist." That's what I'm always pursuing: clarification.

Have I made myself "clear"?

9 comments :

  1. I suffered for years from ADHD, could never concentrate or sit down for more them ten minutes for that matter, I tried all sort of drugs none took any positive effect on me, until I tried Adderall, this switched things completely for me, if anyone has a similar problem I suggest you read up on this medication online and see why it is so much better then all the rest out there

    ReplyDelete
  2. More & more people know that blog are good for every one where we get lots of information any topics !!!

    Increase Penis Size

    ReplyDelete
  3. >"atheist, theist" labeling system

    There much more labels between this two) No need to invent new one

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost accidentally visited to this site, but stayed here for a long time.
    Man I love this comment and it was so fabulous and I am gonna bookmark it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it is clear now…
    Thanks for the different recommendations I have learned from your website.

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time since I've been on Adderal, prescribed to me for over a year that I intentionally over prescribed for myself. Much clearer understanding of what the drug does...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog is very informative for me and I m very glad full for this blog owner. And I must say this to blog owner u make more this type blogs and we get more information about this. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very beautiful and interesting article
    The most educating one i have read today!




    High School Diploma

    ReplyDelete
  9. You write a lot of bullshit, aren't you ashamed of yourself? Regurgitating Gary's views? Are you serious? What a loser.

    ReplyDelete