Saturday, November 9, 2013

I'm in ur Threadz, Translatin' ur Tweets

I am posting this blog entry in my "official" capacity as Catie Wayne's (aka Boxxy) self-appointed (but Catie-approved) tweet-translator cum dickpic-screener. I'm posting it here because it wouldn't have fit on twitter. obviously.

I have a dedicated tab on google chrome for twitter:search:"catiewayne", (which is totally not weird or creepy at all... >_>) This also picks up tweets that mention her name but aren't sent to "@catiewayne". I'm only mentioning this because the tweet that mentioned Ms. Wayne, which is in the thread referenced in the next paragraph, mentioned her by name, [and] not by her twitter username, so it's likely that she hasn't seen the thread [yet].

The following is [my attempt at] a translation of this twitter thread, originally in Portuguese1. [Note: I requested permission from the OPs to translate this thread so that Ms. Wayne could read it, but as of "press time," they have not responded.] [201312030000 edit1: As you can see in the comments, I actually did get permission later.]

Key:

lit = "literally"
(?) = preceding word is my best guess, but I could be wrong
[words] = interpolation or "paraphrase"
[] = words I left out because there was no need to translate them

Again, this is the original thread.
And this is my [attempt at a] translation:
GV: I have a video that you'd love to see
JC: aiiiii, show me!!!!
GV: [video]
JC: hahahaha2 she's funny, clumsy, and looks like Boxxy, but I don't know if it was very good [or not], eh? [].
GV: "looks like Boxxy." She's [the one] who performs [lit: does] the Boxxy character(?) lol
JC: That's not true...
GV: Yes it is, search [for "you see,"][*] lol. Her name is [], Boxxy is one of her characters, she [has now] made new Boxxy videos as well.

[*] [201312030000 edit2: The original tweet said, "pesquisa pra você ver," which, if translated literally, would mean "[s/he] looks for/investigates[**] for you to see," which doesn't make any sense. :-P Therefore, I had to interpolate this into something that did make sense, so I thought that GV might have been talking about the "famous" Boxxy "songification" video, "You See" by Danielson742. But after consulting with GV, I was informed that (in Portuguese, at least), song titles are generally not translated, and that a more "idiomatic" translation would be something like, "look it up, so you can see for yourself."]

[**] [201312030000 meta-edit: the proper conjugation for "pesquisar" in the imperative mood with "você" as a subject would be "pesquise,"[***] so you can see how that would have thrown me off. :-P]

[***] [201312030100 meta-meta-edit: "pesquisa," however, IS the proper conjugation for the 3rd person singular indicative or the imperative with "tu"[****] as the subject.]

[****] [201312030100 meta-meta-meta-edit: No one uses "tu" in Portuguese anymore. {Not in Brazil, anyway,[*****] although I don't know if this is also the case in Portugal.}]

[*****] [201312091050 post-hyper-meta-edit: GV did tell me, "No one uses 'tu' anymore," but I had forgotten the context of that statement (quoted here):
No one uses "tu" anymore
people from the south region use it
but they do not use it properly
they do not... conjugate? xD as "tu"
they say tu but conjugate as "você"
so yeah, tu is not really important
]
Well, I guess that's all for now. I really don't know what else to say. This blog entry was meant more as a language exercise and a service to a "friend" rather than a "real" blog "article." I would welcome anyone who knows Portuguese better than I do to make any necessary corrections. Thanks. :D


1I don't speak Portuguese, but I have studied the language to some extent by completing some exercises in a small workbook. I consider Portuguese [to be] the most beautiful language, but Italian is pretty close. I actually have a better knowledge of Spanish (3rd place!), but I'm not fluent in that language, either.
2the Portuguese language has no /h/ phoneme (i.e., the voiceless glottal fricative) nor any letter representing the /h/ phoneme. Its letter "h" is silent, as it is in most other Romance languages. For example, I find it funny that Spanish has three letters that can represent /h/ (j, g, & x), but the actual letter "h" is silent! I was not a linguistics major, but I think about this shit ALL. THE. TIME.

1 comment :

  1. "GV" Here! xD
    The translation is pretty accurate, Mr. Adderall did a really good job on translating portuguese to english, that's rather impressive.

    ReplyDelete